Suffering from Dry Office Air?

Are you suffering from irritable dry skin in the office?  Staring at the computer screen for half a day, and feeling really dry and tired in your eyes?  Or developing a dry cough and sore throat?

These are all typical symptoms caused by the dry air-conditioned air in the office.

Dry Hands

One of the best, but often over-looked solutions for putting moisture back into the air is having plants at your work desk.

But how is that possible?  How can a seemingly stationary plant be working to moisturize the air?

This is how it works.  Plants need water to photosynthesize for energy to carry out daily living functions.  Photosynthesis occurs in the leaves where light, carbon dioxide and water are combined to form glucose and oxygen.

diagram-of-photosynthesis

Here comes the important part.  Throughout the day, the plant roots suck up water from the base, transfer them through little tubes in their stems called ‘xylems’, and into the leaves for photosynthesis to take place.  Here is where the kicker is – only 1% of the water is used for photosynthesis.  99% of the water is pumped into the air through tiny holes at the bottom of the leaves, called ‘stomata’.  This is known as the ‘transpiration’ process.  Incredibly, 10% of the moisture in our atmosphere comes from transpiration, and the remaining 90% is from oceans, seas and other large water bodies. Check out this 2 minutes video to see transpiration in action and the resulting water given out into the air.

Plant Leaf Stomata
Underside of a leaf, under a microscope. The little white circles are stomata openings.

So there you have it – a simple and effective way to moisturize the air at your work desk.  Say goodbye to dry skin and sinus reactions!

For office-friendly plants which don’t contain gritty dirt and hold lots of water to release into the air, check out these Midorie plants which use a special Japanese absorbent sponge called ‘Pafcal’ instead of soil.  Oh, and we almost forgot to mention that these amazing plants clean the air of common indoor toxins too.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Office-Friendly Plants.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s